Sunday, July 5, 2009

What we can learn from (Good) Job!

Karkeat's Quiet Time reflections
Response to ODB (OT/NT readings) 5th July 2009

Preamble: S5, please kindly give me feedback for my posts. You are the experts in this field. What's a fast way to get pictures for my blogs since I only have 5Mpbs connection? *smile*

OT reading: Job chapters 30, 31

In my Bible reading today, Job chapter 31 has several examples which we can emulate. I'll only mention the following 7 sections of verses, which are more relevant to teens/ YOYA, and give you 7 assignments for the week ahead.


v13-14 "If I have despised the cause of my male or female servant when they complained against me, what then shall I do when God rises up?"

If you have a maid at home, have you been nice to her? When was the last time you greeted the school attendant uncle/ auntie who sweeps the floor, washes your toilets in the school?

Assignment 1:

If you have not been nice to the above-mentioned uncle/ aunties, starting Tuesday, smile and greet them, and be nice to them, genuinely.

v16-18 "If I have kept the poor from their desire, or caused the eyes of the widow to fail, or eaten my morsel by myself, so that the fatherless could not eat of it (but from my youth I reared him as a father, and from my mother's womb I guided the widow);"

Have you ever seen a classmate whom you know to come from a struggling family and does not have enough pocket money to buy food every recess?

Assignment 2(a)

If God has placed such classmates in your midst, treat your classmate to a drink/ cake/ snack. And say,"Jesus bless me, so I bless you lor!" and grin after saying that *grin*

Assignment 2(b)

If you know of any of your neighbours who are very poor (like me), whose children roam the streets instead of going to school, buy some snacks/ food and QUIETLY hang on their doors. Let them think that angels have brought them food. In actual fact, YOU are the angel sent by YHWH *smile* (I've personally done this before, after much prayer, and found great joy.)

v19-20 "If I have seen anyone perish for lack of clothing, or any poor man without covering; If his heart has not blessed me, and if he was not warmed with the fleece of my sheep;


Because my family was not so well-off when I was in secondary school, one of my Christian friends probably noticed, and he, being a school athlete, actually GAVE me his "old" Asics running shoes! I was overjoyed because that was my FIRST ever track shoes! May God bless Joo Peng for his kind heart!

You can be a blessing to your friends too, youths!

Assignment 3:
Do you have any nice t-shirts/ clothings/ shoes that are STILL USABLE? GIVE them to a friend whom you know who needs them!

v21-23 "If I have raised my hand against the fatherless, when I saw I had help in the gate; then let my arm fall from my shoulder, let my arm be torn from the socket. For destruction from God is a terror to me, and because of His magnificence I cannot endure.

Assignment 4:

If you have been bullying your classmates/ friends, stop. Repent.

v24-25 "If I have made gold my hope, or said to fine gold, 'You are my confidence'; If I have rejoiced because my wealth was great, and because my hand had gained much;


Assignment 5:
If you honestly have been greedy, consult your parents/ youth leaders, and use some of your OWN money to do the assignments mentioned above.

v26-28 "If I have observed the sun when it shines, or the moon moving in brightness, so that my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth had kissed my hand; This also would be an iniquity deserving of judgment, for I would have denied God who is above.

Have you been loving the things of God more than the God of things? Sun and moon etc. i.e. nature. E.g. Overzealous about studies (pride, anxiety), science, beauty in photography, pets etc.

Assignment 6:

Consult your parents/ youth leaders if you have made an idol of the above-mentioned e.g. spending more time with your d.o.g. more than your G.O.D., etc. ask your parents/ youth leaders what you need to change. (This will be tough, but we're praying for your growth in Christ- love God, love man *smile*)

v29-30 "If I have rejoiced at the destruction of him who hated me, or lifted myself up when evil found him (indeed I have not allowed my mouth to sin by asking a curse on his soul);

Have you been gloating over the misfortunes of your "enemies" in school?

Assignment 7:

TRY being nice to your "enemies" in school. Why? You may just see him/ her in heaven one day, because Jesus died for him/ her too!

If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. John 13:17

Kar Keat

PS. Church elders, please kindly correct me if i've interpreted the Scriptures above inappropriately. Thank you for your grace in Christ Jesus.

No comments: